70° F

One Bullet, Two Sides Of Story In Redmond Shooting

Published On: Sep 08 2011 01:30:34 AM CDT   Updated On: Aug 05 2011 09:23:28 AM CDT

"He didn't mean to do it. It was an accident -- they were scared and the gun went off," Elva Davenport said Friday as she defended her neighbor, 23-year-old Joel Maresh, who police said shot another Redmond man Thursday night.

According to neighbors, it all went down inside and outside of Apt. 3 at 438 NW 17th St. in Redmond. Officers responded around 9:20 p.m. to a report a man had been shot.

The brother of the victim said the fight started on the street, when he said Maresh sped past 35-year-old Christopher Esquivel.

Esquivel's brother said that's when he ran up the stairs after Maresh, pounding on his apartment door. Maresh never opened it, but police said he did shoot Esquivel from behind it.

"My brother wanted to talk to him like a man," said Esquivel's brother, who wanted to remain anonymous. "That's when the incident happened, through one side of the door to the other."

The bullet pierced the door, and went straight through Esquivel's body, they said.

"You could see that there was a bullet hole on the left side and on the right side," said Davenport, who stayed with Esquivel until police and medics arrived.

Shot in the stomach, neighbors said they heard Esquivel screaming as he stumbled downstairs before falling over.

The alleged gunman was charged with assault, unlawful use of a weapon and recklessly endangering and wounding another person.

Traci Denny lives beneath Maresh, but she wasn't home during the shooting. She had no idea what happened and was shocked to see Maresh's mugshot on NewsChannel 21.

"He's an amazing guy, and there had to have been some good reason or something scary point that had to have happened for him to be able to do that," said Denny.

Police said if they believed Maresh was acting in self-defense, he would not have been arrested. They said Friday the shooting is still under investigation.

Esquivel's brother said both men acted carelessly, but the incident all stemmed from Esquivel's good intentions.

He said his brother just wanted Maresh to slow down when he drives through the quiet neighborhood.

"One too many times, and the next time somebody is going to end up getting hurt, and it ended up being him," said Esquivel's brother.

Esquivel was treated by Redmond fire medics and taken to St. Charles Medical Center-Redmond with what Garibay called ?serious injuries.? A nursing supervisor said he was in fair condition Friday.

Maresh was taken to the Deschutes County Jail in Bend, where a jail officer said he remained held Friday morning on $13,000 bail.

Garibay said detectives were continuing their investigation and would forward the results to the district attorney?s office. No other information about the incident was released.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus