81° F

La Pine couple smell smoke, escape burning home

Published On: Mar 15 2013 01:15:34 PM CDT   Updated On: Mar 15 2013 06:54:49 PM CDT
La Pine house fire

La Pine Rural Fire District

Two adults and a dog fled a La Pine home early Friday after a fire in the wall and ceiling behind the wood stove, officials said

La PINE, Ore. -

A La Pine couple staying at a friend's house had gone to bed but was not asleep early Friday when they smelled smoke, officials said. That may have saved their lives, as well as their dog and the home.

However, a quick response from a nearby fire station limited the damage, they added.

La Pine Rural Fire Protection District crews were dispatched shortly after 2 a.m. to the reported house fire at 15721 Burgess Road, not far from the district’s Station 103 on Burgess Road, said fire Capt. Gary Young.

The couple were friends of the homeowner, who was not there, Young said. After they smelled the smoke, they called 911 and got out.

The occupants reported a fire in the wall and ceiling behind the wood stove, Young said.

The first of 14 firefighters called to the scene, with five apparatus, found the fire coming from the roof and wall that surrounded the masonry chimney in the approximately 800-square-foot home, he said.

A rapid response from the Burgess Road fire station resulted in a quick knock-down of the fire, keeping it contained to the wall of origin, with minor extension to the attic, Young said.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a stove pipe separation with the wall, he said.

The Red Cross said its disaster volunteers offered the displaced pair help with comfort kits, food, lodging and information about health and mental health services.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus