Bend
77° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Prineville laundry room fire traced to heater

By KTVZ.COM news sources
Published On: Dec 19 2012 04:44:18 PM CST
Laundry room fire Prineville

Crook County Fire & Rescue

Firefighters stopped a smoky laundry room blaze from spreading beyond garageĀ  in Prineville Wednesday morning

PRINEVILLE, Ore. -

A Prineville homeowner awakened by smoke alarms Wednesday called in fire crews who doused a blaze in a laundry room and attached garage before flames spread throughout the home, officials said.

Crook County Fire & Rescue responded around 9:30 a.m. to the reported fire at a home on NE Oregon Avenue, said Fire Marshal Casey Kump. Crews arrived four minutes after the call, to find the house and garage full of smoke.

Kump said the cause of the fire was found to be combustibles placed too close to an electric wall-mounted heater in the laundry room.

Structural damage was minimal, but smoke damage occurred throughout the home, the fire marshal said. The estimated losses totaled $15,000.

The fire did not displace the homeowner, Kump said, and they are working with an electric contractor and the county building department to have power restored to the house.

Kump reminded residents that all heating sources, including space heaters, need at least three feet of clearance from any combustibles.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement