Apply to attend Deschutes County College
Have you wondered how your County tax dollars are spent? Do you know what services Deschutes County provides to you? For the fourth consecutive year, County residents have an opportunity* to enroll in Deschutes County College, a free and fun program aimed at educating the community about County government.
Deschutes County is committed to engaging the community in their county government and is providing citizens with an in-depth way to connect with the people and services of the County.
Deschutes County College will be held for 10 consecutive weeks on Tuesday evenings generally from 5:00 to 8:30 or 9:00 p.m., September 10 through November 12. Dinner is provided to participants. Each session includes interactive programs and presentations about County services and the impact they have to residents. Participants must attend seven or more sessions to graduate from the program.
A sample of topics and tours included at County College:
- Property assessment and taxation
- The Deschutes County budget
- Public safety
- County governance and the policy-making process
- Health services
- Road maintenance and solid waste
- Community development and land use planning
- Records and elections
- Tours of Knot Landfill, Elections/Clerk’s Office, Road Department (equipment), 9-1-1 dispatch center, Juvenile Community Justice detention center, and the Fair & Expo Center
County College is a FREE program. Space is limited, an application and background check are required. Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on July 31. *Due to limited space and resources, not everyone who applies will be accepted into this year’s college.
Receive an application by contacting the Deschutes County Administration offices at (541) 330-4640, by sending email to email@example.com