Bend
49° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy
Advertisement

Bend house fire traced to clogged furnace filter

By Femi Abebefe
Published On: Dec 17 2013 09:05:22 PM CST
Updated On: Dec 18 2013 01:08:17 PM CST

A furnace malfunction set off a small structure fire and smoke alarm in a southeast Bend home.

BEND, Ore. -

Fire struck a southeast Bend mobile home being remodeled Tuesday morning, but a neighbor who heard a smoke alarm sounding brought fire crews to the unoccupied home and prevented even more damage.

Crews were called around 10:50 a.m. to the single-wide manufactured home in Space 120 at Country Sunset Mobile Home Park, 61445 SE 27th Street, said Battalion Chief Bob Maden.

Madden said the fire was caused by a malfunctioning furnace, which was clogged with sawdust and sheet rock.

The homeowners don't currently live in the home and were in the process of remodeling it, he said.

Mdden said the fire was held to the area around the furnace, burning through the floor joists.

He said dust from the remodeling project had clogged the furnace's air filter, which reduced air flow, allowing the furnace to overheat and cause ignition of the wood supports under the floor.

Losses were estimated at $10,000 to the home and $1,000 to its contents.

Madden reminded residents to check furnace filters periodically and replace them each year.

It was the third significant structure fire tackled by Bend firefighters in about 12 hour.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement