Bend
46° F
Fog
Fog
Advertisement

Bend's Carpenter withdraws from Senate race

By KTVZ.COM news sources
Published On: Dec 24 2013 01:41:16 PM CST
Updated On: Nov 04 2013 06:10:17 PM CST
Sam Carpenter

Sam Carpenter

BEND, Ore. -

Businessman Sam Carpenter, who announced his bid to unseat Jeff Merkley in the U.S. Senate on October 10, withdrew from the race Monday, while endorsing fellow Bend resident Jason Conger instead.

“I entered the race because at the time there were no well-funded and highly qualified challengers promoting limited government,” said Carpenter, who owns the Bend phone business Centratel.

“With Jason Conger and Monica Wehby now in the mix, that just isn't true any more," he said. "They're good people and excellent candidates who espouse what I believe. They’ve got it covered.”

While Carpenter believes that both Conger and Wehby are excellent candidates, Carpenter has endorsed Jason Conger.

Carpenter also thanked his staff and supporters.

“Many have come forward to offer their support including family, friends, and people I've never met,” Carpenter said. “I’m grateful for their passion, time, and effort. I encourage all of them to stay involved in order to fix what's wrong with Congress.”

Carpenter had pledged to spend $100,000 of his own money.

Since then, several other GOP candidates have entered the contest.

Portland lawyer Tim Crawley announced a campaign on Monday. He joins Conger and Dr. Monica Wehby of Portland.

Merkley was elected in 2008 and says he plans to seek a second term.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement