Bend
45° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Dogs unhurt in boarding kennel fire N. of Bend

By KTVZ.COM news sources
Published On: Jan 06 2014 06:42:04 PM CST
Pet Parade fire

Bend Fire Dept.

Overheated furnace failed, sparking fire that prompted evacuation of Pet Paradise boarding kennel N. of Bend Monday morning

BEND, Ore. -

A smoky fire traced to an overheated furnace broke out at a pet boarding kennel north of Bend Monday morning, but quick action by staff got five dogs out unhurt and allowed crews to quickly douse the blaze, officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched around 10:20 a.m. to Pet Paradise, at 64155 N. Hwy. 97, and arrived to find moderate smoke coming from an open roll-up door at the front of the building, said Deputy Fire Marshal Cindy Kettering.

Five dogs at the kennel at the time of the blaze were safely evacuated by staff before fire crews arrived, she added.

The fire extended into the building’s attic space before it was extinguished, with losses estimate at $10,000 to the building and $2,000 to the contents.

An investigation found the fire began in an older electric furnace that overheated, Kettering said. The resulting fire spread into the attic space, but “the structural damage was minimal, due to the quick actions of staff who saw and smelled smoke and called 911 without delay,” she added.

Kettering also reminded residents that heating and ventilation appliances should be serviced at least annually – and if you notice problems with fireplaces, woodstoves, furnaces or any other appliances, contact a qualified service firm right away.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement