Bend
34° F
Clear
Clear
Advertisement

Redmond FD: Cigarette started Eagle Crest house fire

By KTVZ.COM news sources
Published On: Apr 21 2014 11:54:53 AM CDT
Updated On: Apr 21 2014 10:21:35 PM CDT
Eagle Crest house fire

Traci Cooper/Redmond Fire & Rescue

Responding Redmond firefighters early Monday found flames on exterior of home at Eagle Crest, spreading to attic space

REDMOND, Ore. -

Redmond firefighters said a fire that caused $60,000 damage at a home in Eagle Crest Resort early Monday was sparked by a cigarette on the front deck.

More than a dozen firefighters were called out around 3:15 a.m. and doused the blaze, confining most of the damage to the porch and attic area of the home at 8921 Cliff Swallow Drive, said Fire Marshal Traci Cooper.

However, the home’s interior did sustain some smoke and water damage. Losses were estimated at $50,000 to the structure and another $10,000 worth of contents.

After leaving the home, the renter had a neighbor call 911 to report the fire, Cooper said. No other homes were threatened by the blaze, she added.

Cooper said later that fire investigators determined the fire originated on the deck of the home and quickly burned into the attic, and was caused by smoking material.

The American Red Cross was called in to assist the woman staying at the home.

Mutual aid assistance was provided by the Cloverdale, Bend and Crooked River Ranch fire departments, as well as the Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement