Bend
64° F
Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy
Advertisement

Home saved from shed fire east of Bend

By KTVZ.COM news sources
Published On: Nov 04 2013 08:29:27 PM CST
Bend fire truck (generic)

BEND, Ore. -

A small garden shed went up in flames very close to a home east of Bend Monday morning, but crews extinguished the blaze before it could spread, fire officials said.

Bend firefighters responded shortly before 7 a.m. to the reported fire at 61702 Teal Road, south of Highway 20, and found a 10-by-10-foot outbuilding fully ablaze, said fire Capt. David Russell.

The shed was very close to the home, Russell said, but the fire was quickly extinguished before spreading.

Firefighters determined the cause of the blaze was an improperly extinguished campfire the residents had enjoyed the night before, the captain said.

The shed and contents were a complete loss, with damage estimated at $6,000.

Bend firefighters reminded residents who have small recreational fires to follow some simple tips before leaving them unattended.

1. Allow the wood to burn completely to ash if possible.
2. Pour lots of water on the fire, drown ALL embers, not just the red ones.
3. Pour until hissing sound stops
4. Stir the campfire ashes and embers with a shovel
5. Scrape the sticks and logs to remove any embers
6. Stir and make sure everything is wet and they are cold to the touch

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement