39° F
Light Rain
Light Rain

La Pine chase suspect found hiding high in tree

Published On: Sep 16 2013 08:33:28 PM CDT
Hunter's tree stand Chris Campbell

Oregon State Police; Deschutes County Jail

Fleeing La Pine motorcyclist Chris Campbell (inset), female companion were found hiding 20 feet up in hunter's tree stand, OSP says

La PINE, Ore. -

A 30-year-old La Pine motorcyclist who refused to pull over for Oregon State Police Monday morning prompted a chase that was called off when he headed east onto Forest Service land. But troopers watched a cloud of dust, then tire track and footprints led to his arrest as he and a female companion tried to hide 20 feet up in a hunter’s tree stand.

Shortly before 11 a.m., OSP Senior Trooper Jason Hansen tried to pull over a motorcycle for license and equipment violations in the La Pine area near Highway 97.

The man operating the motorcycle, accompanied by a female passenger, tried to elude Hansen, going past OSP Fish and Wildlife Senior Trooper Darrin Bean and east of the La Pine cemetery, onto Forest Service land. Troopers said they terminated the pursuit due to poor visibility, but a trailing dust cloud allowed them to keep it in sight.

The troopers saw the motorcycle leave the dirt road and head into the woods, where they followed the tire track for about a mile, then found the motorcycle abandoned.

The troopers then followed footprints until they ended at the base of a tree. Around 11:45 a.m., troopers saw the man and woman trying to hide in a hunter’s tree stand about 20 feet off the ground.

The pair came down without further incident and was taken back to the OSP cars.

Campbell was taken to the Deschutes County Jail and lodged on charges of felony attempt to elude in a vehicle, misdemeanor attempt to elude on foot, reckless driving and recklessly endangering another person. Campbell also was cited for several traffic violations, including driving with a suspended license.

Campbell was booked into the Bend jail around 1:30 p.m. and released on his own recognizance about 90 minutes later, officers said. The 30-year-old female passenger was not arrested.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus