77° F

NW Bend chicken coop burns; chickens flee to safety

Published On: Nov 03 2013 04:20:42 PM CST   Updated On: Nov 03 2013 07:57:31 PM CST
Bend fire truck (generic)

BEND, Ore. -

All of the chickens ran to safety but their coop was lost in a fire near a northwest Bend home early Sunday, sparked when a heat lamp fell into wood shavings, firefighters said.

Fire crews responded to the reported fire around 4:50 a.m. at a home at 707 NW Sonora Avenue, said Deputy Fire Marshal Dan Derlacki.

They arrived to find a chicken coop ablaze, separate from the house, Derlacki said. They quickly extinguished the fire, finding that a head lamp had fallen into wood shavings used as ground cover.

The shavings smoldered for a while, until the fire extended to the entire chicken coop, he said. All of the chickens were able to escape into the fenced area around the coop.

Damage was limited to $250.

Derlacki said the Bend Fire Department reminds everyone that uses a heat lamp for their pets to heed a few safety warnings that will help prevent a fire at your home:

- Properly secure the a heat lamp to prevent it from falling – the basic clip-on heat
lamp shades can fall very easily, especially after they have heated up and the clamp
loses its grip due to being warmed up and the metal expanding slightly

- Keep combustibles away from the heat source – whether its straw or saw dust, keep it away from the heat to prevent a fire

- Ensure all electrical cords used for power are in good condition and are heavy duty
enough to support the power being used for the lights and heat

- Check in on the coop regularly to ensure nothing has changed that may cause a fire, such as the heat lamp falling or electrical cords getting pinched.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus