75° F

Chief: Burn barrel sparked Prineville barn house fire

Published On: May 19 2013 12:24:09 AM CDT   Updated On: May 19 2013 02:17:37 PM CDT
Prineville house fire

Crook Co. Fire and Rescue

Wind-fanned, smoky fire destroyed a barn, home in northwest Prineville Saturday afternoon


A burn barrel sparked a fire that destroyed a house and barn in northwest Prineville Saturday afternoon, officials said Sunday.

Crook County Fire and Rescue responded around 1 p.m. to the reported fire in the 400 block of NW McDonald Road, said Fire Chief Matt Smith.

Smith said the fire started from a burn barrel and spread to the nearby barn. By the time crews arrived, the barn was engulfed and the fire had spread to the adjacent manufactured home.

Sixteen firefighters, three water tenders, two engines and an ambulance were called out to the fire, Smith said.

The Red Cross said the fire displaced two adults and a cat. The organization provided food, clothes, lodging, comfort kits and information about health and mental health services.

Fire crews remained on scene until 9 p.m. Saturday, and the fire was still burning in the foundation's interior Sunday morning and putting out a lot of smoke, Smith said. Unsafe conditions were keeping firefighters from fully dousing the blaze, he added.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus