One Ore. holiday weekend traffic death; fewest since '02
Preliminary information released Tuesday by Oregon State Police indicates one person died in a fatal traffic crash on Oregon roadways during the 2013 Labor Day holiday 78-hour period, which started 6:00 p.m., Friday, August 30, and concluded 11:59 p.m., Monday, September 2.
According to ODOT's Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS):
* This year's single fatality is the fewest traffic deaths in the past 11 years during the Labor Holiday period. The last holiday period when a single fatality was recorded was during the 2002 holiday period.
* Since 1970, Oregon has not had a fatal-free Labor Day holiday period. Single fatalities were previously recorded in 1999, 2001, and 2002.
* The highest number of fatalities for this holiday period occurred in 1978, when 17 people died in Oregon traffic crashes.
* Since 1970, more than 290 people have died in Oregon traffic crashes during Labor Day holiday periods.
* The Labor Day holiday period is the second deadliest major holiday period for highway travelers in Oregon.
This year's single fatal crash occurred Saturday at around 6:19 p.m. on Highway 224 near milepost 11, west of Barton in Clackamas County. A 41-year old Oregon City woman died after the motorcycle she was operating traveled off the highway and struck a tree.
During the holiday period, Oregon State Police troopers, along with county deputies and city police officers, were stepping up enforcement as part of the national "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" traffic safety effort.
OSP troopers reported 54 DUII arrests, slightly more than 51 arrests reported last year. OSP offices reporting 3 or more DUII arrests were:
* Springfield Area Command office - 7 DUII arrests
* Albany Area Command office - 7 DUII arrests
* McMinnville Area Command office - 6 DUII arrests
* Grants Pass Work Site - 5 DUII arrests
* Klamath Falls Area Command office - 5 DUII arrests
* St. Helens Work Site - 3 DUII arrests
* Salem Area Command office - 3 DUII arrests
* North Plains Work Site - 3 DUII arrests
* Tillamook Work Site - 3 DUII arrests
OSP troopers also arrested 21 people during traffic and other contacts on outstanding arrest warrants.
Copyright 2013 KTVZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed