Bend
46° F
Fog
Fog
Advertisement

Grill brush bristle hospitalizes teen

Published On: May 09 2013 02:39:42 PM CDT
Updated On: May 09 2013 03:08:23 PM CDT
Teen swallows grill brush bristle

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

A teen in Washington state is on the mend after swallowing a grill brush bristle during a family barbecue.

Tristan Beck, 16, told Seattle TV station KING he knew something was wrong a few days after the family's weekend dinner.

"I just remember being in school on Wednesday and just feeling like I was being stabbed in the stomach," he said from his hospital bed. "I was falling asleep in class and just not feeling good."

Turns out, the small wire brush bristle that ended up in his food perforated his intestines, requiring surgery.

Tristan's family urged people to check their grill brushes and replace them often.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has put out a special warning for barbecuers to check for loose metal brush bristles here.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement